lest your life be dull

Friday, February 11, 2005

the list of things i'm really great at

one evening when i was feeling particularly frisky, i got the idea that i should make this stuff called white chilli that my dad makes and i love a lot. what you must know is that i'm 23 years old but i've never ever in my whole life made anything from scratch, b/c my dad is such a superb chef that we were never allowed in the kitchen growing up, so i'm kitchen retarded. i mean, i was allowed in the kitchen, but only to fulfill my duties as "dump girl" which meant my dad would fill the measuring device up with the appropriate item and it was my duty to dump the ingredients into the bowl. that's it. that's all my cooking experiencce.
anyway, having recently moved to new orleans, which is 12 hours away from my folks in dear ole STL, holla, i figured if i'm going to be the picky eater that i am, i better start cooking mmy own meals rather than starve to death or complain about others' cooking. thus my reason for feeling adventurous and the need for me to cook for the first time ever.
long story short, (too late?), as you could probably imagine, it was G-REAT. i was really impressed myself. so i called my daddy and said, "it's true, i really am your daughter, i can cook. i guess i'll have to add something else on the list of things i'm really great at..." and he said, "yeah, and i guess being humble is right up there on top ten." (hurmor runs in the fam...).
so later that night, still on the high of my sucess and thus unable to fall asleep, i decided that it was time to make the official list of things i'm really great at... so without further adue, and in no particular order...
1. putting on eye make-up.
2. dressing myself.
3. cooking.
4. kissing boys.
5. dancing kinda slutty.
6. telling stories.
7. losing my train of thought.
did i tell you the story about how the other night, wait...what were we talking about?
i keed!
8. guessing a person's particular asian nationality (aka, playing "name that asian").
9. remembering how to get to places.
10. being an auditory learner.
11. washing and detailing my car. (really, that's two things).
12. helping friends script break-up conversations and other tough convos people don't want to have but must.
13. making sorority comments so as to reinforce peoples retarded stereotypes about sorority girls.
14. ordering the best tasting thing at any given restaurant.
15. raising one eye brow while keeping the other one perfectly still.
16. taking the eye exam at the optomitrist. 20/15 baby!
17. only remembering the things i do that are cool and forgeting when i do lame things.
18. making one word out of two. like man crush...mush. front bumper...frumper.
19. speaking in accents, particularly greek, asian, and the undisclosed european accent.
20. being a daddy's girl. yeah!
21. asking questions.
22. exaggerating. and living in -est world.
23. taking naps.
and i think i'll cut it off at 23, since that's how old i am, but let's face it, we all know i could go on.

perhaps the list of things i'm not good at would go something like...
1. making smooth exits.
2. being serious and quiet at furnerals, church, and in grad school classes.
3. speling.
4. playing it cool.

but i mean, who wants to make that list? not me. besides, such a list would be in direct opposition to the afore mentioned item, number 17.
well i'm pretty excited about my frist blog entry, and can already tell i am going to have to add something to the list!

go bobcats!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home